Sunday, December 30, 2012

Out with the old...


Where did this year go?!?!  Goodbye 2012, and hello 2013…hey boo!!

I don’t want to head into the New Year with bitter, single woman baggage so I need to get this off my chest now, preferably yesterday actually.  Can someone explain to me what is the dealy-o with the men I’ve been meeting?  There is at least one hamartia (tragic flaw, get up on your Greek tragedy flow) with all of them.  I am only in mid-twenties and yet I keep meeting all these “ruined” men.  It can’t be that ALL the good ones are taken.  Is there not an assembly line somewhere in the Midwest that churns a new one out as soon as one of the old ones gets married???  If not, can we get on that?  I’m not sure if you’ve heard but there’s a serious job shortage in the US and I think Barack would be interested in this jobs plan.  I think someone should run this by him; I’m just sayin…


Before you scamper off to write a letter to your local Senator, let’s get back to the matter at hand.  These men are…I don’t even know actually, they are all over the effed up spectrum.  I met a guy earlier this year who seemed decent, albeit somewhat corny, but still very viable.  Everything was good in the hood until he got lukewarm and I countered with ice cold.  If things had ended there then it wouldn’t have been anything to write home (or on this blog) about.  BUT, it doesn’t end there.  Since we’ve cooled all the way down, I’ve run into him twice.  Both times he has gone out of his way to stand in front of me and pretend not to see me, which I find odd and immature.  This is what it’s been both times:

Him: *standing directly in front of me and looking over my head*
Me: Hey ______.
Him: OH, I DIDN’T EVEN SEE YOU!!!  HEY!! HOW ARE YOU?
Me: I’m doing well, thanks.  Nice to see you again _____. *walks away shaking my head*

Behavior like that makes me feel like I’m missing something.  It just doesn’t connect to me.  On one hand he doesn’t “see” me, but then on the other he’s sooooo excited when he does see me.  It’s almost as if there’s unfinished business there, except there isn’t.  I was one of two people in that situation and we ended mutually and amicably so I don’t get the theatrics.  That’s homeboy number one.

Number two is a guy that is feeling himself WAAAAAYYY too much.  Most women will tell you that they like a confident, assertive man; someone who has a certain je ne sais swag.  I’m with that, all the way.  I am not with men who are overly confident and feel like they are sweet baby Jesus’ last gift to mankind.  I have met many of such men and am currently disengaging one as I type.  I don’t know his last name and can only guess at his occupation, yet he approaches me as if he’s cured cancer, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.  I CANNOT. His sheer audacity is such a complete turn off and I’ve stopped answering his calls.  I’m not writing this in a look-at-me-I-have-all-these-guys-running-after-me or a I’m-a-bad-mamma-jamma-dime-piece sort of way.  I really just want to meet a guy who’s normal and decent with no theatrics and no unearned audacity.  Here’s to 2013, I guess.  I think I’ll start to feel pressed and stressed in 2017 if this is still an epidemic.

**Forgot to mention there was another guy that seemed to have possibilities, but he has a kid and I’m just not mentally there yet.  We can be cool.

***After re-reading this, I can see how this post might be seen as over-sharing, but let’s spin it and call it real-life hypotheticals (see, what I did there?).

No comments:

Post a Comment